The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Haunting We Will Go

Many years ago I had made a bunch of cheesecloth ghosts for Halloween decorations.  Through several moves I guess I finally threw them out and since I originally made this easy Halloween decoration over 15 years ago I thought everyone had seen it.  But the people that have seen mine over the last few days had never seen a cheesecloth ghost, so I thought I would share them with you today.

First cover your work surface, blow up some balloons and sit them on top of glasses or jars.

Now mix ModPodge or white school glue at a 2 to 1 ratio with water in a bowl.  For four ghosts I used about 1/4 cup ModPodge and 1/8 cup water.  Add more water if it is too thick.  Cut some cheesecloth into lengths about 3-4 times as long as you want you ghost to be tall.  For example, if you want a 12" ghost - 36" to 48" of cheesecloth.



Put the cheesecloth into the glue mixture until it is saturated then squeeze out the excess.



Unfold the cheesecloth and drape it over the balloon, bunching it up around the base of the container holding the balloon.


After the cloth is completely dry, pop the balloon and peel the cheesecloth off the wax paper. These are great to do with kids because you can't make a mistake.  You can add purchased eyes, cut eyes from black felt or leave them without eyes.


I placed mine around these really awesome pumpkin that my son made in school. My son is 27 and I've had this pumpkin since he was in grade school.  It didn't really hit me how old this is until I typed that!  I love this pumpkin.  It's a BROWN PAPER BAG!  It's stuffed with....paper!

Stuff the bag with paper, fasten the bag shut and leave a "stem" at the top. Paint it varying shades of orange. Cut leaves from construction paper, paint and glitter the leaves and glue them on top. Then add some raffia and green florist wire. You can barely see the wire but it has been wrapped around something round like a pencil to make it curly.



I hope you like my ghosts - they aren't scary at all.  I hope you like the very old pumpkin too!

Be sure to check out my Wicked Halloween Decor post - my daughter and I built a few displays based around Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Wicked and Phantom of the Opera.  They are really cool!


Much Love & Laughter,

Laura

http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/fall-mantel-decor.html

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating



 Follow Me on Pinterest

5 comments:

Gail @Purple Hues and Me said...

Yes, I love your ghosts! I hadn't seen these for a few years. I'm glad you brought them back! What's old is new again, but I think they are a "classic" just like your son's adorable pumpkin.

Maureen Wyatt said...

Isn't it the greatest thing to bring your child's artwork so many years later! I have the cheesecloth ready to go for the ghosts, so this is a very timely post. Thanks and I'm pinning it. ~ Maureen

Nici @ Posed Perfection said...

I love it! The pumpkin and the ghosts. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving me a sweet comment about the frugal tp pumpkins...I think one would make a great addition to your other paper pumpkin ;-) I'm your newest follower. I hope you'll stop by again soon and maybe even follow me back. Have a great weekend!
Blessings,
Nici

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Those are the cutest little ghost. How sweet of you to keep them around.

Samantha said...

oh my gosh! i am totally going to do this with my 3 kids!!! they will LOVE the results!!!!

thank you for sharing!

samantha :-)