Both pieces needed a lot of TLC, one drawer pull and some major desmellification. One problem - it was about an hour from home and I knew if I didn't snatch up this deal it would be gone! Fortunately, my son lives about an hour away in the same direction as the furniture and he was a good sweet son and went over and got these pieces for me and kept them until I went to visit. He told me they were "smelly". Most of the smell aired out over a few days and the remainder went away with a good washing with Murphy's Oil Soap and some sunshine.
First I sanded all over the piece lightly and sanded a little heavier on the laminate top.
Sorry, no picture I was hard at work!
Then I painted it with Minwax Polyshades in Black which was recommended for painting varnished cabinets. After I applied one coat - which was difficult on this sanded surface I decided it was too shiny for my taste. I tried a little on the inside of a cabinet door on my kitchen island - because that's what I bought it for - and it's too shiny for my cabinets too. I prefer a more matte finish.
You'll notice I painted this inside the house - because it was HOT and HUMID outside. Bad conditions for painting and fortysomething ladies.
Second coat - I used Sherwin Williams black that is a more semi-gloss finish. This is the same paint as the sides of the chest I bought.
A coat of clear paste wax, some pretty drawer liner and the handles back on and it was ready for the bedroom.
I'm shopping e-bay for that one missing handle.
Such a big improvement from the white shabby but not chic before, and a really big improvement from the old nightstand. Now it's more chic than shabby!
Next up - the dresser. I'm so excited I can hardly wait to get started on it! I'm going to be wrapping the furniture portion of the master makeover project up before too long.
Much Love & Laughter,