The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Friday, March 15, 2013

Someday Is Here - Passing Down Baby Stuff To My Baby Girl

Every Mother has a birth story for each one of her children.  The day you give birth is forever printed on your memory in a way ordinary days are not because there is nothing ordinary about that day.  Each story is different and each story is special.  Over the years as those babies grow, if you are like me, you tuck away little items that you will "someday" pass down to your "baby".  And someday seems very very far away.  And then, one day, it is someday.

My oldest daughter, Sara, is in her early 30s and that someday has come - sooner than I expected.  It's funny how life seems to go fast and slow.  It seems like a long time ago, but it also seems like a blink of the eye.

I remember the day she was born with a clarity that I can't recall last week -because that day was extraordinary. I'm honestly amazed how many little things I had tucked away for the special day when she becomes a Mom. Soon she will write her own birth story and she will save a few things for the day her little girl becomes a Mom.  Cherish each day my baby girl, because someday will be here sooner than you think.

For Christmas time I gave my son (whose wife is also expecting) and my pregnant daughter their baby flatware.  The ones below were used to feed baby Sara.  I actually have a spoon of my own just like the one at the bottom, so when had the opportunity to order one just like it for my baby I was excited.  I got her the matching fork too.  The spoon has the baby's name, time of birth on the clock and the date.  The fork has the baby's length.  She also has the wooden highchair purchased for her by my parents.  She and her husband are going to do a little work on it and use it for our little Caroline.



I had all these things tucked away in the cedar chest.  She wore the purple dress and hat for her 1st Birthday photo. Her Grandma made the puppy quilt.  I'm making one for each new granddaughter, I'll share when I get them finished.  The little pink outfit she wore the first time she went to church.  And of course I kept her little hairbrush and her rattle. She didn't need the hairbrush much - that's why she was wearing the hat for her birthday photo! 

This beautiful crocheted bib, the sweater and shoes were made for Sara by a dear lady in the church where I grew up.  As you can see I never used the bib.

I'm thinking we may need to consider a shadow box to display some of these items in the nursery.



The yellow and purple dresses are two of my first sewing projects.  I used the same pattern for both and she got a lot of wear out of these little cotton dresses and they look pretty good for their age.



She wore this sweater a few times, including for her first Christmas picture.



I sewed a little tag in the dresses.  Oh baby, I think that says it all.

Happy Friday,
Laura aka Lala


  Follow Me on Pinterest

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post!!!
We had a flood in our basement and I lost every last piece of those family treasures - including all the artwork they made as little ones - so my heart aches a little reading this - but it's a beautiful post - goes by fast - too fast - scary fast
Much love,

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

How exciting, Laura. Such sweet gifts! I have saved a few items that belonged to my girls. I look forward to passing them along someday...just not too soon!! Lol!

meandmr.com said...

Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop. You have a super cute blog, I can't wait to read more. You can find me at meandmr.com

-Melanie @meandmr.com

Maureen Wyatt said...

Those sweet baby things, carefully preserved, are such a great visual of all the love that was lavished on your baby. Luckily, the love fountain fills right back up and overflows on the newest angels in the family!

Kim said...

Well I don't think I can say it any better than Maureen did. Just a sweet post!!!
xoxo,
Kim

Sooner Laura said...

Thanks for stopping by everyone. Nothing pulls the heartstrings like babies and grandbabies.