The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thankful Heart List

Many years ago (when my kids were younger) we started a Thanksgiving tradition. On the first of November I would give everyone a sheet of paper with their name at the top.  Each day you were supposed to write (at least) one thing for which you were thankful that day.  At Thanksgiving dinner we would share some of the items from our lists.  It was fun and very touching.  

Even though we have just one (adult) child living at home, I still try to carry on this tradition.  Sometimes I post my thankful item of the day on my FaceBook page. The important thing is just to focus on being thankful for the entire month.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  It's a time to gather with family and just be thankful.  No gifts to buy, not a lot of decorations to put out (or put away after).  It is a time for lots of cooking, family time and thankful hearts!  And if you have a four day weekend that makes it very nice too.

My list usually looks something like this



This November try making your own thankful lists with your family, you may find it is a tradition you continue year after year.
Time to get started!  What are you thankful for today?


Love, Laughter, and a Thankful Heart, 

Laura

  Follow Me on Pinterest

7 comments:

Life at Still Woods said...

Hi Laura,
What a terrific idea! I am going to share this with my family as well as several other friends. I agree with you...Thanksgiving is such a wonderful time to be with family and just enjoy each other. I am visiting from Time Travel Thursday and am your newest follower! Hope you get a chance to stop by Still Woods Farmhouse for a visit!

SewSweetVIntage said...

This is a sweet idea!!!! Keeps us grounded and thankful:) I'm following your blog now. Follow me too at www.sewsweetvintage.com I posted crafty clothes pin and pumpkin serving bowl to the coastal charm party:)

SewSweetVIntage said...

Opps! I saw your post and I posted to the my front porch party!

Pamela said...

A Thankful list is a fabulous idea Laura! Thanx for partying at THT! http://www.frommyfrontporchtoyours.com/2012/10/treasure-hunt-thursday-80-highlights.html

Audra @ Renewed Projects said...

This is a great idea! Reminds me of One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp who keeps a similar list all year. She's on 4,000 and something. My kids are babies, 4 and 3, and this would be a tangible way to instill a grateful spirit. Thanks for sharing!

Tami Michel said...

Laura, I think this is a beautiful idea. I like how it's so personal and can be implemented for any age. Thanks for sharing this at Curb Alert's Friday Block Party and now with my family as well.
Tami @ Curb Alert!

Sooner Laura said...

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and leaving a note. I enjoy your comments so so much and I'm THANKFUL for each and ever person who honors me by visiting my site.