The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Friday, August 22, 2014

California Adventure - Old Sacramento

Greetings from Old Sacramento! 

And welcome to the second day of our northern California vacation.  On Friday, my cousin, Val, arranged for us to take the underground tour of Old Sacramento and learn the history of how the city was raised to prevent flooding. Sacramento was the first city on the West Coast - and the only one in California - to raise its street level.  This began in the 1860s and took many years to complete.

The area designated at "Old Sacramento" sits right on the bank of the Sacramento River.


I found this courtyard with the remains of the ground floor of an old building very interesting. It was below street level at the original level of the street.


These beautiful columns were once on the inside of a building.


I made my family stand next to this column, it is cast from metal and has gorgeous detailing top to bottom. I didn't want all my pictures to just be architectural features, I had to include some family members!


My baby girl, Colleen, my cousins and I had a lot of fun in the gift shops and candy stores.  We didn't buy a lot, but we took some fun photos.


Val claims I forced her to do this, she is worried the family would blame her, but it's not my fault! I only handed her the sign and took the picture.




Colleen is a big Dr. Who fan and she found a lot of fun things to pose with in Old Sac.



We loved Evangeline's Costume Mansion and spent a long time looking at all the costumes and getting ideas for the next costume party we will attend. Those masks on the bottom are covered with rhinestones.



Colleen made a new friend!



After some shopping, we headed over to the river front for a nice lunch. (My biggest purchase was a large bag of saltwater taffy)  We had lunch on the patio of the Rio City Cafe. It is right on the river and the food was delicious.  I didn't take any pictures during lunch this time.

Then we walked and looked some more before stopping in an ice cream shop for a cold creamy treat.  A good time was had by all.  Some history, some shopping, some looking around, some food, some candy, some ice cream all shared with family.  What more could you ask for?



If you love historic areas, shopping, good food and salt water taffy be sure to visit Old Sacramento next time you are in northern California. Happy Friday, have a relaxing, blessed weekend!

Much love and laughter,

Laura


  Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Looks like you had a fun day! What a great trip.