The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Simply Salad

Do you love a good salad? 
How about a great salad?

I REALLY love salad. 

I have rules about making salad. 

Rule #1 A good great salad has a minimum of 5 ingredients 

Rule #2 A great salad has a lot of color

Rule #3 A great salad has something unexpected!

If you have a great salad with less than 5 ingredients, please send me the recipe!  If you have a great salad with 5 or more ingredients send that to me also.

Salads are easy and quick to make and you don't need a recipe - just imagination!

Here's a lovely yummy salad.  I usually top it with balsamic vinaigrette and black pepper....always black pepper!

This easy beautiful salad contains

Spring greens
Broccoli slaw
Grape tomatoes
Fresh cilantro, dill and basil - Fresh herbs are my favorite salad ingredient
Pine nuts
And BEETS! 

Just look at that beautiful purple color! And the beets give it a uniqueness that it just wouldn't have without them.


I have a confession.  I never knew you could buy pickled beets at the grocery store until a few months ago.  I've been getting them homegrown from my Mom for all these years and recently she didn't have any to give me.  Her gardening/canning is starting to slow down a bit.  Then I found beets at the grocery store and I was worried they wouldn't measure up to Mom's homegrown.  I'm not saying they do - but they are good and readily available.

Here's another confession.  SuperDave doesn't want any beets in his salad.  And he's not a picky eater, he's super easy to cook for, but no beets.  That's fine - more for me! And leaving an ingredient out of a salad is easy because I make them individual anyway.

Okay here's another salad and it's totally different and unexpected (for me) because I'm not super fond of RAW broccoli.  I usually prefer it baked.  But I LOVE raw broccoli in this combination.

This Broccoli Salad contains

Raw broccoli, cut in bite size pieces
Cashews (salted or unsalted, your choice, I used unsalted)
Dried cranberries
Real bacon pieces/bits
Briannas Home Style Poppy Seed dressing
Black Pepper

Now this one almost breaks the rule.  It only has 4 ingredients if you don't count the dressing - but you've got to use this dressing (or a similar one) or it's not going to taste the same.




Salads are wonderfully delicious and healthy.
 
You don't need to know how to cook to make a great salad.
 
And if you toss some chopped chicken on top you have a meal!

Does it get any better than that?

Much love and laughter,


Laura


  Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments: