The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Can Christmas Creep result in Christmas Peace?

It seem like I just put away all my seashells and sand and put the beautiful gold and orange fall decor throughout the house.  And now it's almost time to decorate the house for Christmas.  I'm one of those people who is resistant to early Christmas music and decorations.  I think you should wait until the day AFTER Thanksgiving to start decorating for Christmas.  Otherwise, you don't relish and enjoy the season of THANKFULNESS.  And concentrating on being thankful seems SO important in our world today.  It often seems like the focus is on getting more, more, more! (I'm also opposed to Black Friday shopping, but if it is fun for you be my guest!)



My "Love Language" leans toward Acts of Service, so completely skipping gifts at Christmas wouldn't be that difficult for me. But I understand that is important for some people, so I participate. I love to give gifts and welcome a gift received, but if you really want to show me some love, focus your time and attention on me for a day. Wash the dishes, dust the furniture, mop the floor.  If you want to show me you love me take away some of the chores and errands that fill my list of "Things to Do" day after day.

Once Thanksgiving is over, I LOVE the Christmas music, the decorations, the good cheer.  I love parties and Christmas Eve communion.  I love trees and lights and pretty much everything about Christmas.  I even love beautifully wrapped gifts with bows!  I just think we should celebrate Thanksgiving first.

I am VERY resistant to the Christmas CREEP.  Christmas trees and decorations in the stores in October!  But I've reached a decision and here is my message to everyone out there in the world, "Do what works for you." There I said it and I mean it, I really do. 

I'm going to be tolerant of Christmas lights burning brightly the week before Thanksgiving and Christmas trees put up by Halloween.  I'm going to be okay with this because I know that time is limited for most of us. And I think each family should do what works for them, even if it's too early for me, to make Christmas a time of PEACE.

Here's one of my secrets to a peaceful Christmas season - I like to be totally finished with my Christmas shopping BEFORE Thanksgiving.  This originated from not wanting to shop with huge crowds of people (before internet shopping). But it has evolved. Now, I do it primarily because if my shopping is done, I can focus on Christmas instead of shopping in the weeks between Turkey Day and Christmas Eve.  It makes my December a time of PEACE and I firmly believe Christmas should be a time of Peace.

If Christmas decorating before Thanksgiving makes your Christmas season more peaceful, I say go for it!  I may even get started myself this weekend on a little Christmas decorating because I see by my calendar that my weekends are pretty booked for the next 3 weeks after this one.  I better get moving because I don't just decorate one tree, check out some decorating from last year here.

If you need a countdown, 

It is 8 days until Thanksgiving and ONLY 35 days until Christmas!

Much love and laughter,

Laura


  Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

Maureen Wyatt said...

There's no danger of me decorating for Christmas early this year. I'm busy painting walls. Of course, the Canadian Thanksgiving is long past. I'm glad we have ours early and the seasons don't overlap!