The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Thursday, March 7, 2013

When Life Gives Me Lemons - YUM!

I love lemon.  Lemonade is my favorite drink.  I love Lemon Pound Cake, Lemon Cookies, Lemon Pie, a slice of lemon in my water.  I love lemon!

Last weekend we took a trip to Oklahoma, our home state.  It was my father-in-law's birthday weekend again already.  Seems like he just had a birthday last year!


His birthday dessert of choice is not to be missed - my mother-in-law's homemade lemon meringue pie - with lots of fresh lemon juice.  I'm glad I observed the Lemon Meringue Pie baking process last year because this year by the time I got there the pies were made (3 of them.)  But if I had to miss out on the baking or the eating, I'm glad I got there in time to have not ONE but TWO pieces before it was all gone.


I posted about the Lemon Meringue Pie last year as a new blogger.  I think the only  people that read that post were my husband and my mother-in-law so I wanted to share it again, because you really want this recipe.


So here it is from March 2012, I hope you don't mind me sharing again now that someone actually reads my blog.
 



Over the weekend we took a short road trip to visit my in-laws.  It was time for a once a year event - my mother-in-law was making Lemon Meringue Pie!  Actually, the event is my father-in-law's birthday, but they are one and the same to us and both are well worth driving a few hours to celebrate.


I could tell you all the great things about my mother-in-law, but that would take about a week and a half, so today we'll just concentrate on her ability to make a delicious Lemon Meringue Pie.

In our family we don't make a birthday CAKE, if you happen to have another favorite dessert.  It's your birthday - so you choose the dessert you like best.  My husband likes fruit pizza and since he has a summer birthday, that is usually his request.  GIANT Chocolate Chip Cookies are also a popular favorite at our house. 

My favorite?  Well, personally I LOVE tiramisu and crème brûlée and almost every kind of cookie in the whole world.  But seriously - ask me to choose a favorite dessert and I'm not sure that's even possible.  I could give you a list of the ones I don't like. It would be very short list.

The pie crust was made a ready to go, so Bev got right to making the filling.





Fresh Lemon peel
and fresh lemon juice -
this is the secret to
 a great lemon pie !




The pie maker herself !

Egg yolks for the filling 

Look at that lemony lusciousness !


and Egg Whites for the fluffy white Meringue 



Two pies are required to feed the crowd drawn
 by this pie birthday celebration!



The Recipe is from the timeless
Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook





 
Sadly, my cut piece didn't turn out 'picture perfect'
because we skipped the part of the recipe
where it says, "cool thoroughly before serving"


What is your favorite birthday dessert?


Laura


  Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

No better cookbook than the Better Homes & Gardens! Lemon is my favorite, also. That pie looks scrumptious!!