The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Final Piece of Chalk Painted Furniture for the Master Bedroom

I had an absolutely wonderful weekend which started with a short work day Friday.  It was an amazing beautiful spring day and I had fish tacos with a my friend, Anne, on a patio by a fountain and then we got our toenails painted.  I got a new toe picture for my collection. She had a "big" birthday a while back and this was my gift to her.

My color choice was Opi "Hot :& Spicy", my friend went for a green St. Patty's Day color

Two things I dearly love are good times with friends and family and getting a project finished that has been on my list forever. (a third would be a pedi with a friend)  So yeah, my weekend was awesome.  Because I finished a project too and still spent plenty of relaxing time with SuperDave.

After working on the master bedroom for so long that I would have to search through my old posts to determine when it started, it's more or less finished!

The final piece of furniture that needed a fresh coat of chalk paint is done!  It looked like this last week.  The cat was optional - he's only there if I leave a drawer open.  I should have gotten him to pose for the after photos!


This lingerie chest was a craigslist find and in the beginning I had a hard time with the idea of painting it because it was in new condition - but the longer I looked at it the worse the yellowish white and green accents looked.  I strongly considered solid RED for this piece but decided on a red/black combo.  It went like this.

Sample of Cinnamon Cherry  I made my own chalk paint using Plaster of Paris, water and the paint.


The first coat of red made it look even worse.


Second coat of red - I'm seeing some improvement.


I think I put three coats to get the red color to match the sample.  Red over white - takes a few coats to cover.


I got the white paint off the brass drawer pulls with an old Crockpot, water and dish soap.  Luckily I had one with a hinged lid that had broken in two places.  We were about to throw it out when I remembered I needed it to do this project.


After I painted the black over the red - I was almost speechless. But not quite, I can usually think of plenty to say!  Too much, I admit it.


Projects evolve as I go along - I planned to distress, but in the end I just left some red showing through.


Everything looks good with the new wood flooring in our master bedroom! If you missed the reveal you can find it here.





All finished now and back in it's place. It upstages the big 'ole TV in our bedroom so it's not quite so noticeable (I hope).


Hope you had a wonderful weekend too!

Laura


  Follow Me on Pinterest

10 comments:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

What a beautiful transformation! Love the black, with the red peeping through. My BFF did that with her barstools in the kitchen. Beautiful!

Unknown said...

So pretty! You did a great job!
Have a great week!
~Liz

Vintage Street Designs said...

FABULOUS!!! Ya know...with all my painting, I don't think I've ever done black over red just red over black. Hmmm...now I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing! Hopped over from Transformed Tuesdays and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit. Blessings ~ Judy

Curtains in My Tree said...

I love that vintage style of chest

I'm looking for one to paint also
I have one I painted all silver
Janice

seen ya over on Savvy Southern style

Donna Wilkes said...

Black, red, and sexy - it looks like a French woman on the loose. Tell your friend the green toes are terrific!

Pamela said...

What a fab makeover! Thanx for sharing at THT.

My Dream Canvas said...

What a great makeover. I am visiting you via No Minimalist Here. I would love for you to stop by My Dream Canvas. I am hosting a Giveaway for my blog's birthday. Please join in if you like it :)

Unknown said...

Ok Laura - this is pretty spectacular!!!
Love the red peaking out from behind the black - just gorgeous!
XOX

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great piece, Laura! Love that you can see the red through the black.

Peggy~PJH Designs said...

You did a wonderful job. I love the color combination. Very pretty. Thank you for joining us at Transformed Tuesday this week.

Hugs,
Peggy~PJH Designs