The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Monday, March 4, 2013

Master Bedroom "Keeping It Real" Reveal

I promised to eventually reveal pics of the master bedroom after new paint, new floors and the furniture makeovers that have been going on since sometime last year.  I could keep putting this off until I got every little thing just perfect and the reveal would happen exactly - NEVER.  So I have decided to reveal the room like it is - not quite complete and without hiding all the stuff that we all find necessary to LIVE in our houses.  Because people this is not a model home - we LIVE here day in and day out.

So please disregard the one tall yellowish white lingerie chest that is my next project.  Disregard all the cords that belong to smart phones, Kindles, etc.  Disregard the fact that we have two computers as part of our master bedroom set up because we don't have a dedicated office room in our house.  We have 3 guest bedrooms because we like to have guests.  Also, disregard the television, tissue boxes and whatever else you see that ruins the illusion of perfection and just focus on the fact that all in all this is a pretty nice live-able master bedroom.

Here's the big 'ole bed I bought on craigslist that I need a step stool to climb in and out of - I still love it.  Beside it is the beside chest I chalked painted for my SuperDave's side of the bed.  We even managed to get some stuff back on the walls with only one incident.  It involved a picture falling from the wall, patching the resin frame with plaster of Paris and touching it up with craft paint - oh, yes I did!


My little office area in the corner with a few more of the freshly painted NEW old pieces picked up second hand over the past many months.   And finally - there's a good shot of the new wood floor.


Here's a view with the still to be painted lingerie chest.  When it's done this is going to look super and the tall black chest beside the TV is going to make the TV fade into the background - oh, yes it is!  This picture also has a pretty good shot of the rug we chose for this room and I really LOVE this rug.


I love it so much I got a matelasse coverlet and some shams (on clearance finally!) to bring my colors all together.  And there of course, is Chewie, the cat who insists on being in most of my photos.
 

I love this picture because it shows a LOT of the floor.  It gives you a real feel for the high ceiling and the tropical fan that keeps as cool as we sleep in our lovely four poster pineapple bed.  The room started our to be French but ended up being what I refer to as French West Indies - an eclectic combination of French and Caribbean because this girl's heart is always leaning toward the beach. (if only I had the view!)


I'll throw in one more shot in case you haven't had your fill of looking - if you have just scroll on through!


I mentioned we have TWO computers/desks in our room and here's the other one.  This is where the man of the house has his office space.  This large closet opens from our bedroom to an area UNDER the stairs.  It's an L shaped closet and the ceiling gets very low when it turns because it's under the landing.  This space isn't neat as a pin - it's a work space, but that's okay because it has doors that close up to hide it all.  And there's the other kitty, I don't think he was trying to get in the picture, he was just following me around - most likely crying for food or a lap.


So there it is, my 'Keeping it Real' Reveal of our Master Bedroom.  It's not quite finished, but then my home never will be finished because I'm always going to have another idea.  Thanks for stopping by.

I went looking for a before picture.  What I found was that I was very careful NOT to get the old furniture in the picture.  Here's a picture from a few years back before I started the craigslist furniture search and sold our old furniture and bedding.




Much Love & Laughter,

Laura


  Follow Me on Pinterest

14 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I love the French Caribbean feel this room has! ...and spacious too.

your floors and office spaces are nice too. Pat

Maureen Wyatt said...

You captured the look beautifully! The room look fresh and inviting with just enough feel of history in it. That bed is worth having to use a stool to get in it!

Debbie said...

Well, I would call it keeping it real-ly beautiful! I love the windows with the shutters.; They set the whole beautiful floor, walls, and other stuff off just wonderfully. I would love a tall bed like that. I have always found them to be so romantic.

Everything looks just fantastic, and I think the way you get to use extra closet space in there for a built in office area is such a bonus!

Gwen said...

I love the French West Indies look! What an amazing transformation from the before...

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your makeover - your floors are just gorgeous!
And I can never imagine fitting one computer in my room much less 2 of them!
Your window is stunning too Laura - thanks for letting me know to come by
love what you've done!
Hugs,
Suzan

Heather@http://southernabbey.com said...

You did a beautiful job. What a difference! It's so relaxing and calming to go to bed in a room you have created and love.

Far Ago Farm said...

I think your bedroom is absolutely lovely!!! I also am a big fan of"keeping it real!" Your rug is gorgeous...love the contrast with the dark wood. Jane

The French Hens Nest said...

Your bedroom is really beautiful! That bed is something...and the rug...and the bedding...and the floor...
So glad you just showed us. I am always so critical of any photo I take of my home thinking it isn't "perfect". It never will be-that's the fun of decorating!

We love your blog and of course we are joining you. Please visit us and maybe you will want to join us too
!

Linda and Jeannie at The French Hens Nest

Market Nine home said...

What a wonderful transformation! Love the blues. So very pretty! ~Kristie

Orlando Designs said...

Your room turned out great! The floors look Amazing! Love the color of the walls!

Peggy~PJH Designs said...

Hi Laura, Your bedroom is just beautiful. I love the bed and the rug. The floors are gorgeous and I love the blue you chose for the wall. I'm so glad you shared at Transformed Tuesday.
Hugs,
Peggy

Pamela said...

Your bedroom is beautiful and I am still loving those floors!

Mariel said...

Very pretty! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

Unknown said...

My bedroom walls are close to the same color, love the color. Love your window with shutters too, so beautiful. You did a super job. My first time here but I'll be back.