The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Friday, December 14, 2012

Joyful Christmas Family Room

What sort of things help you get into the Christmas Spirit?

Christmas Music

The Christmas Story

Christmas Decorations

Christmas Food (you know what I'm talking about)

Christmas Countdown

Christmas Shopping

Christmas Movies

Christmas Books

All of the Above?

My family enjoys all of the above things during the holiday season from Thanksgiving through New Year's Day.  One of our long standing traditions is movie watching. Beginning at Thanksgiving we (try to) watch all the Christmas movies in our collection.

What's your favorite Christmas movie?  Okay, movies - who could honestly pick just ONE Christmas movie.  My favorite is probably It's a Wonderful Life.  Who can resist Jimmy Stewart?  I always shed a tear.  Maybe because the message is so true.

While we watch our movies we hang out in our family room.  This is a casual room, old carpet, old furniture, BIG TV, surround sound, black out shades.  (SuperDave is serious about movie watching).  This room isn't large and it isn't fancy, but it is one of the reasons we purchased our current home.  The word to describe this room is COMFORTABLE.  This is where we generally hang out with family and very close friends.  It's a put your feet up kind of room.


The family room is where I put a small tree on the antique school desk and decorate it with some of our oldest unbreakable ornaments, our very first angel tree topper and my only pieced quilt project - the tree skirt.  

This porcelain angel tree topper is circa 1982 and was purchased from Avon. I keep this lady in the original box with the handwritten receipt from the Avon lady who sold her to me!


I've said it before - I LOVE this tree.  The branches are so beautiful. 
I got it at Target and it wasn't expensive (on sale). 
I would love to find a 10 footer with the same branches.


I put what I consider "old school" ornaments on this tree.  I love the little wooden bird houses, wooden boys, nutcrackers, angels and toys.  The stuffed ornaments I sewed to decorate our tree when my "kids" were little are on this tree. (the puppy ornament below is one of them)




It is a tree and a room full of JOY


Many years ago I received a Christmas card with the poem below and it became one of my favorites.

The Spirit of Christmas

He's seen in the smiles
The whole world is sharing

He's found where there's friendship
And loving and caring

He's felt in warm handshakes
When people are meeting

He's heard in the cheer of
A Christmas time greeting

His spirit's behind.
All the gifts we receive

He's everywhere, always.
To those who believe!




Spend some time relaxing with your family this weekend.

Happy Friday!

Laura


  Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

Maureen Wyatt said...

I believe! That was good thinking to keep the original box and receipt for your cute angel. I can picture your descendants marvelling at the graphics and price a hundred years from now! I like everything about Christmas, especially family all being together.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Laura, what a great family room! This is a great place to spend some family time, relaxing and watching movies. Love having that sweet tree with all of your family treaures there...so warm and cozy!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love your blog title, I so agree, life does begin t 40+. Your familyroom looks gorgeous, love the color and your tree is beautiful. You mentioned the reindeer, just wanted to let you know that Michael's has them at 80% off right now, so they are about $3 to $4. Perfect price. Thanks for the visit and the gracious comments. I am your newest follower. Hugs, Marty