The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Time to Make the Cranberry Salad

Cranberry Salad?  Cranberry Sauce?  Cranberry Something in a Can? 

Everyone has their favorite cranberry side for the dressing at Thanksgiving. My favorite is one of my favorite foods at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Just give me a plate of cornbread dressing and this cranberry salad and I'm happy.  My mother-in-law started using this recipe SO MANY years ago that I don't remember NOT having it for the holidays.  I passed it to my mother and now we all three make the same recipe so I'm good at either Mom's house or at home eating my dressing and cranberry salad.

The wonderful wonderful thing about it (besides that it is so delicious) is you can make up it today and freeze it and then take it out for your special dinner. So that's one less thing to make the day of the big meal.

Or you can freeze it in smaller portions and take it out a little at a time.  I'm not making Thanksgiving dinner at my house this year, but I'm thinking of making some cornbread dressing and a batch of cranberry salad and eating a little with a meal ever week from now until Christmas because I LOVE it so much!  I love it even more than the traditional holiday pies.  I'm not a pecan or pumpkin pie eater (COOKIES are my weakness).  I'll just having another serving of cranberry salad, please!

One tip before I give you the recipe - it calls for the ENTIRE orange peel and all - please TASTE the orange peel before you grind it up.  I made this once and took it to work and then found out the orange peel was bitter.  If you don't want to take a chance, peel the orange and add a spoon full of orange zest from the spice rack.

Gather the ingredients.


1 package fresh cranberries,
1/2 package mini marshmallows
1 large or 2 small apples
1 large or 2 small oranges
1 cup pecan chips
1-1/2 to 2 cups of granulated sugar 
                (depends on how sweet you want it, I prefer less)
1 small box orange gelatin
1 cup hot water

Dissolve the gelatin in the hot water and add the sugar, set aside


Rinse the cranberries and chop in a food processor until they are in small to medium pieces.  (you can also use a food grinder)


Set the chopped cranberries aside


Core and quarter the apples, cut the oranges in 4 pieces and remove seeds if there are any.

Process the orange and apple until fine and then add the marshmallows, process just a little to chop up the marshmallows



Mix all the processed items together, stir in the chopped nuts, then add the orange gelatin mixture and stir well.  Now place in the refrigerator until set or put it in the freezer for Thanksgiving Day.


Quick and easy and oh so delicious!

Much Love & Laughter,

Laura


  Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

I have never had a salad quite like that, and it sounds delicious. Your photos are just great, too.
I think you should make the stuffing and salad for home! My favs are the stuffing and gravy, and plain ole jellied sauce out of the can. Although I do make a fancy mold for guests, with raspberry jello, port wine, cranberries, pineapple,and a cream cheese layer on top.

Debbiedoos said...

Oh yum..this sure is different. Great for a festive party too. Thanks for sharing.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

This looks delicious! Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!