The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Gourmet Open Face Chili Dogs

Okay, maybe not GOURMET (because I'm not a gourmet cook), but I created the recipe so I can create the name also.  And these definitely were NOT your standard chili dogs.

Because I'm sewing like crazy to get ready for costume parties this weekend we've had some interesting meals lately and last night was no exception.  I frequently make up recipes using what is in the fridge and/or freezer.

Last night I ran in the door from work and looked to see what was in the freezer.  I found a small container of homemade chili.  And in the fridge - turkey hot dogs and the end of a loaf of french bread.

So here's what we had - "Gourmet" Open Face Chili Dogs

First I put the frozen chili in the microwave to warm up. I make my chili with 1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 lean ground beef and a standard chili mix.  I cook a package of 15 bean soup mix and I mix the beans with the chili.  I make a big pot and freeze it in small containers for use at a later date after we eat it the first day.

Then I tossed four turkey hot dogs (45 calories each) in a cast iron skillet, browned them and pushed them to the sides. Sorry for the lack of photos, but I was in a hurry.

I tossed a handful of broccoli slaw and shredded carrots in the middle of the cast iron skillet and added some thin sliced red bell pepper and chopped cilantro.  I cooked the veggies until tender but still slightly crisp. (yes, veggies on a hot dog)

I sliced the french bread in half and spread it with olive oil spread and stuck it under the broiler to get toasty.

I removed the bread from the oven and spread a thin layer of dill pickle relish on the bread. I added two hot dogs to each piece of bread, topped it with a little spicy mustard, the chili with beans, grated cheddar cheese, and topped it with the veggies.

Then I snapped a quick photo with my phone because it was so pretty!  And let me tell you, it was DELISH! 


Try it for yourself. Yummy, I promise!

Hang on, it's almost Friday,

Laura

No comments: