The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fruit and Nut Bread Pudding

I love food that is versatile.  A great dish that you can eat for breakfast OR for dessert for example.

I have previously shared some of my favorite recipes that are good for breakfast or dessert, like Cream Cheese Pound Cake, Pineapple Upside Down Cake and Fruit and Oatmeal Cookies.  Now I would like to share another one - Fruit and Nut Bread Pudding.

Like my Mother-in-law's famous Lemon Meringue Pie, this recipe's roots come from The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, but of course I've modified it to my taste.




Here's is my recipe for a 9 x 13 pan

4 slightly beaten eggs
4-1/2 cups of milk
3 teaspoons of vanilla
1-1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large loaf of french bread, sliced, then torn into bite size pieces
1-1/4 cups of brown sugar
1/2 cup of dried cranberries
1/2 cup of dried cherries
1/2 cup of chopped pecans

Combine eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
Stir in the bread
Stir in the brown sugar, fruit and nuts
Pour into a greased (I just spray with olive oil) 9x13 glass baking dish. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.





When it's comes out of the oven it will be all golden brown.  I love to eat it warm.  It's great topped with a little whipped cream or even ice cream.
And it reheats well for breakfast the next morning.  Trust me I've done this many many times.




This is a great fall breakfast/dessert and it smells heavenly while it is baking in your oven.



Much Love & Laughter,


Laura







 Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

I love bread pudding, for breakfast, dessert, snack, whatever. This one looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.