The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Crock Pot Pork Roast Sandwich - Inspired by Pinterest

I found a recipe on Pinterest. (but this time I actually made it instead of just wishing someone would make it and bring it over to my house)   Three ingredients in the Crock Pot - pork chops, ranch dip mix and cream of chicken soup.  My kind of summer recipe. (I'm more of a winter cook)   Do you cook more when the weather is cold?  I just love cooking during cool weather.  This recipe has been repinned so often I'm not sure to to give credit to for the original idea but I got it from my friend Delilah http://pinterest.com/semidomesticmom/.  Thanks, D!

Except of course, I never make the recipe just like I find it.  I had on hand a pork roast, so I used that and I added one teaspoon of pepper ('cause I like life spicy!)  The pepper is not in the photo, of course, because it was an afterthought.

A word about cream soups. 
So many recipes (is this a southern thing?) call for cream soup.  I was watching an episode of Pioneer Woman where she made Chicken Spaghetti - I haven't tried her recipe but I'm sure it is as good or better than the recipe I use.  When she said she was making this dish, I thought no way is she using canned soup, she'll make up some fancy sauce of her own!  But nope, she used the soup, she apologized, but said it was the only way to get the flavor right!  Go PW!

Anyhoo, I sprayed the crock with some olive oil, put in the soup, ranch dip mix and pepper, stirred that vigorously with a whisk and then (carefully so as not to splash) tossed in the pork roast (frozen because I didn't think far enough ahead to to get it out Saturday night).  I set it on HIGH as it was mid-morning and I wanted to eat late afternoon.  I also stopped by a couple times during the day and flipped it over since it started out frozen and I wanted both sides to soak in the ranchy goodness.  After about 4 or 5 hours, I turned the heat down to LOW.


Add some black peppa, please!
 I broke up the roast with a fork into several large chunks.  Then I took out a large piece and shredded it with two forks.  The yellow spots are just ranch seasoning, it's all good.


I decided to make a sandwich on Sunday, but you could just as easily serve the roast with side dishes of your choice.

I grilled a cibatta bun in my favorite pan, my old cast iron skillet.

I sprinkled some grated cheese on the warm bun - both sides (your choice I used a mexican blend)

Added some spring mix salad greens

And a generous helping of my easy guacamole



My husband declared this SANDWICH DELICIOUS and I have to admit I ate the WHOLE THING!


I have some roast left over, I might make this again tonight.



Continuing with summer and barely cooking,

Laura


 Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments: