The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Patio Cabinet with Granite Tile Top

I did it again.  Before SuperDave could finish the current project (side yard makeover) ....

At least we got the plants in before the HOT weather started. 
The remainder of the project involves hauling a LOT of crushed granite. 
We'll finish that project next - I promise think, probably.
I interrupted him with another project and it was a biggie.  I didn't realize how big until we worked and worked and worked and even though it needs one more coat of paint I'm revealing it today because......I haven't done anything else.  It has consumed ALL our spare time lately.

This is the reason for the project. Actually the way it looks here is an improvement because SuperDave had already cut away a big ugly BLOB of that foaming sealer around the gas pipe.  Background story - the former owner of our house installed a 5 burner Dacor range (THANK YOU very much people) but in the process left exposed gas piping in our attic (we have to step over it to haul down the Christmas stuff), in our garage and worst of all - across our patio.  Really?

So for more than 5 years we've talked about building a table, a cabinet, an anything over this pipe.  We have not done it because building a cabinet seemed like such a big task.  So lying in bed one night thinking - oh so dangerous is thinking - I thought, what if we buy a cabinet base and work from there?  So I asked my hero if that would be easier and when he said yes I went right down to the Re-Store.  I expected many trips before I found a 4' base cabinet, but NO, I found one on the first trip WITH DRAWERS!  So the project began.


After cutting away the ugly foam blob,  we SuperDave built a plywood platform to cover the pipe.



The base cabinet before


The painting begins with a coat of primer or two


More primer


THE GRANITE!

This is the best part of this project.  I had 7 pieces of 12x12 Santa Cecilia left over from the guest bath/hallway projects. I bought the tile from someone who had it left over and I paid $50 for a whole bunch of miscellaneous stuff that led to a makeover of the guest bath and tiling our hallway. So I bought ONE $6 piece of tile and we used leftover thinset and grout. 

SIX BUCKS for the entire granite top! And we didn't have to cut any tile pieces! Double WOW!



"We" added a sheet of plywood for a top.


Next, a sheet of backer board and trim around the edges.

The first of many coats of paint.



We installed the tile, waited a day and put in the grout.  Let me note here that working outside even in the shade EVERYTHING WET dried REALLY fast, the paint, the thinset, the grout.  We had to work fast and it was more difficult and frustrating than working in a climate controlled environment.



Then base trim and more paint, I really think it's only been 2 coats and I'm putting on a third to finish up.  The real wood trim only needed 2 coats and touch up, but the cabinet doors and sides are laminate and they don't take the paint very well.  It's definitely not perfect - but it is outdoors - I'm calling it rustic, distressed, imperfect.


NO, I'm calling it AWESOME!




I'm really looking forward to the final coat of paint and calling it done!  Then we just need to decide what to keep in this new storage space on the patio.  And I'm sure we'll serve up some snacks and drinks on top.  We'll be using it often as we pool party through the summer.  What gas pipe?  I don't see a rusty old gas pipe!


Much Love & Laughter,

Laura




http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2012/05/short-or-tallplease-help-me-choose.html























Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

CLICK TO JOIN LINKY PARTY






 Follow Me on Pinterest

11 comments:

Debbie said...

It's fantastic!! I didn't see this earlier and am glad I didn't miss it. I make regular pilgrimages to my ReStore so I know how exciting it is to find what you want right away.

I'm so impressed with the score on the granite, too. WOW.

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Yes, Awesome!! Well done :)
Greetings from Australia♥
~Pernilla

Debbiedoos said...

YES.....Very awesome indeed. Useful too. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with the newbie party.

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Give that Super Dave a super big pat on the back! It's seriously awesome and ingenious ...

:)

Linda

Nelly@DGInnovations said...

It turned out FAB!! I have that same tile on my countertops!! Looks really really great! I am sure you are enjoying it!!
Visiting from the newbie party!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Laura, this looks great!! What a clever solution! I am sure that you will find many uses for your cabinet! Great job!

Robin said...

Way to turn a problem into a beautiful addition to your patio. Looks very high end with the granite top and would make a great bar for entertaining and you even go storage out of it. And you did it on budget! Thanks for sharing.

Robin
Robin Flies South

reFresh reStyle said...

It turned out great! You and Super Dave make a great pair! Visiting from Debbiedoos :)
Debbie

Pine Tree Home said...

What a great buffet area to use and under counter storage to boot. Great job.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Don't you just love it when a project comes together?! That was a great way to mask a pipe, too. ;)

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday again.

Blessings,
Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

Mrs. Handyverger said...

Beautiful! I love the granite top. :)


Stopping by from Debbiedoo's Newbie Link Party. :)