The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Super Salad - Paula Deen's SW Avocado & Black Bean Salad

This recipe has been making the rounds on Pinterest.  It sounded QUICK and EASY, which makes it perfect for a week night dinner after work.
A couple of weeks ago, on lawn mowing night when I got home from work I assembled all the ingredients except for the avocado, cheese and dressing.   




Then I tossed it all back in the fridge.  After SuperDave and I finished the yard work, I grabbed it from the fridge, added the cheese and chopped up the avocado on top. 

Then I tossed it with the dressing and it was done!

We settled down in the back yard, relaxed for a while and ate our yummy salad at our favorite "patio cafe."  In a few minutes, my baby girl came home.  She was hungry and I offered the salad (even though she is normally only agreeable to caesar salad.)  But guess what? She liked this salad and the Lime Cilantro Dressing
Last night when I got home from a very long Monday and didn't feel like making dinner (I've been sick for a week with a sinus and ear infection).  Can you say YUCK?  I'm a grouchy momma bear and I don't have time to feel bad.
I asked the baby girl if we should warm up the leftover chicken soup - not a bad option.


 Or make a salad and toss some chicken on top (I always keep some type of pre-cooked chicken in the freezer so we can bake it and toss it on a salad.)  Her suggestion - let's make that salad again - the one she liked that WASN'T topped with caesar dressing.  So we made this great Paula Deen salad AGAIN and topped it with chicken this time.

 Southwestern Avocado and Black Bean Salad

Servings: 4*
Prep Time: 15 min
Difficulty: Easy

*MY note, this recipe says it serves 4, I would say 6 to 8 unless you are REALLY hungry

Ingredients

1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 or 3 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 avocados, peeled and diced
2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
About 3/4 cup (3-ounces) grated pepper jack cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper






If this sounds good to you, give it a try, you won't be sorry.  It's a lot of deliciousness ready to eat in 15 minutes.

Much Love & Laughter,

Laura





Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments: