The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

One Thing Leads to Another

Sometimes I get on a roll, or maybe I get obsessed.  This is how my current obsession started last week.

On Monday, I needed a recipe to cook some tenderized (venison) round steak given to me by my brother.  So, as usual when cooking a dish that's not one my regular menu, I googled for a recipe and I found The Pioneer Woman.  Her recipe for Fried Round Steak sounded quick and easy, so I fried 'em up Monday evening and they were amazing!  This could be partly because I almost never fry anything.  What a treat!

TPW_2058

You can try this simple recipe, the recipe calls for beef.  So yummy!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/08/fried-round-steak/

So in the process of finding the recipe, I found The Pioneer Woman blog.  I was hooked.  A fellow Oklahoma girl, living on a ranch in eastern Oklahoma.  I understood so much about the places and people she writes about that I just couldn't get enough.

Curious about the location of the ranch near Pawhuska I googled 'Ree Drummond' and found an old article from the Tulsa World that had to a link to a section of Ree's blog Black Heels to Tractor Wheels, the true love story of Ree and her husband, Ladd. The link no longer worked, because it turns out she published the story as a book.  Awesome!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/blog/2009/06/why_i_wrote_black_heels_to_tractor_wheels/


bhcoversidebar

So I logged onto the website for my library and promptly reserved a copy of her book, her cookbook and her children's book (which I probably needed as a gift .) 

Next, I searched the TV schedule and found an episode of her cooking show on the Food Network on Saturday morning. I set my DVR. I told you I get on a roll.  The cooking show was good, Ree came across as a very real person, just like in her stories from the blog.  She made football food including what she called Knock You Naked Brownies. I've been making the same recipe for years, but we called them Turtle Brownies. I think I'll call them Knock You Naked Brownies in the future - it makes me laugh.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/05/knock-you-naked-brownies/



I picked up the books after work on a Monday evening (one week after the steak recipe search.)  After dinner I sat down with the books.  First I read about Charlie The Ranch Dog - very cute and awesome illustrations. Next, I quickly perused the cookbook, good recipes, real (comfort) food, nice pictures and stories.  I'll come back to that one later, time to start the true love story.  So I started reading Monday evening and by Tuesday at 9:30 I was finished.  I really loved this book.  It made me laugh - loudly - I read excerpts to my husband - one he had to read himself - I was laughing too hard to read it to him.  After a while, when I laughed, he asked me what was so funny this time.

So now I'm back to the cookbook. This weekend I'm planning to make the Mocha Brownies. I don't even want to know nutritional information on these, I just want to eat them.  This recipe is not on website so I can't give you a link to it.  But you can buy the cookbook or check it out from your library.  It's called The Pioneer Woman Cooks, Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl.





Happy Reading, Happy Cooking, Happy Eating,

Laura

All these pictures came from The Pioneer Woman website, I hope she won't mind since I'm saying only nice things about her, her books and her recipes.  She's also a wonderful photographer.  She took the pictures of the food in the cookbook. Also the pictures of the ranch, her family and the cattle on the website are beautiful.  I call her the Martha Stewart of the Prairie.






No comments: