The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happily Ever After

My husband and I have lived together quite happily for over 32 years. We don't have the typical marriage, if there is such a thing.  We REALLY like each other a LOT.   We don't just love each other, we really like each other and like spending time together.  We work together and play together, laugh and cry together.

Our story doesn't involve a lot of careful planning and getting to know each other for years before we married.  We started dating in May when I was 16 and he was 19 and we got married in December of the same year before I even graduated from high school. 

We just couldn't wait - we wanted to be together ALL THE TIME. 

Yes, it was the 70s - well it was the 80s 5 days later.
Thirty two years later, we still want to be together all the time. 
What's the secret to our success? 
I wish I could bottle and sell it, but sometimes I think we're just blessed.

But I can tell you a few things that I believe help make a marriage last.



First of all, Have Fun Together!

Treat each other with Respect and Kindness

Be Polite, please and thank you are especially important
for the person who is #1 in your life

Keep the romance alive, you don't have to share EVERYTHING

Spend time with family

Share your faith in God


Hug and kiss and act excited to see each other

Do little things like....
Send a card to your husband/wife at work
Answer the phone "Hello, Gorgeous" when he/she calls (you'll love the response)
If you are getting yourself a drink, get one for him/her too
Ask, "Is there anything I can do to help you today?"
When you drive his/her car for the day fill it up with gas
Remove the child wrapped around his/her leg when he/she's cooking dinner

You get the idea.....

When your wife wants to dress up for Halloween, go all out! 
Hello, Gorgeous!

Don't use words like ALWAYS and NEVER

Let go of your anger, look at the intention, "Was my husband trying to hurt my feelings?"  Of course he wasn't!  Don't waste time being angry with the one you love, just make up and go on with the good stuff.



Take time to relax and just be a couple. 

Even after having children we took some vacations without our kids, just to have couple time and remember who we were together ALONE!

Oh and my husband says that one thing that helps is,
"My wife overlooks a lot of crap"

I'm sure that's helpful too.


Live, Love, Laugh,

Laura

No comments: