The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Friday, February 17, 2012

DIY (with the husband's help)

We are big DIY people.  I grew up with parents who rarely called in help from "professionals."  My Dad was Mr. Fix It and my Mom can do pretty near anything.  I helped my parents paint and do electrical work. I've helped shingle the house and crawled under the subfloor and helped my Dad with plumbing.  I've helped with auto repairs, home repairs, gardening, feeding cattle, the list could go on and on.

Fortunately my husband is also mechanically inclined and the man has SKILLS.  Me - I'm just willing to try anything - I can always do it again if I'm not happy with the first try, right?

I love watching Yard Crashers and Room Crashers - if it was up to me the TV would stayed tuned to HGTV (almost) all the time.



My SuperDave, hard at work
 We're usually in the middle of a project (or three) at our house - on tap for this weekend - my husband and son-in-law are doing some vehicle repairs and I need to get started sewing my daughter's prom dress.

I told my husband last time we moved that if we just sat on the couch and ordered take out, hired someone to do the lawn and clean the house and picked up the phone when we needed projects and repairs that we wouldn't have so much stuff to move.  There's kitchen stuff, tools, painting supplies, ceramic tile supplies, gardening and lawn equipment, sporting goods, sewing and craft supplies, cleaning supplies,more tools, and more kitchen stuff.

If I have any spare time I fill it right up with another project or a book to read.


Christmas cookies!
I like cooking


A great salad, one of the tastiest and easiest dishes!


and sewing
I recovered the cushions on on patio furniture and made the dining room curtains


and texturing and painting
(not crazy about removing wallpaper, but I like the end result)

I sometimes wonder if it is worth the effort (aches and pains),
but my brain just won't turn off the possibilities. 

So we just keep on doing it ourselves.


Live, Love, Laugh,

Laura

No comments: