The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kindle Books - Cheap or Free!

I love reading, really, it's almost as essential to me as breathing.  I would rather read a book than watch a movie 90% of the time.  I've been a voracious reader as long as I can remember.  As a child I would hide on the floor behind my Mom's bed with a book.  As long as no one could find me they couldn't ask me to do something else and I could keep reading. I love Nancy Drew and visiting the tiny library in my small hometown.

I read for entertainment, for enlightenment, to learn new things, to pass the time while waiting, I really don't need a reason. It just one of my favorite things to do, on the patio, at the beach, in front of a fire with a cat on my lap on a cold winter evening.

And that brings us to my new friend, KINDLE.  Ta Da!

Well first it was the Kindle App.  When I got a REALsmartphone, to replace my NOT SO SMART phone, I discovered THE KINDLE APP.  I think I heard angels singing.....

So I started downloading free books from Amazon, just to try it out.  This would be a good time to mention that as much as I love to read, I believe in borrowing books or buying second hand.  I don't spend $10 to $15 on a book unless my daughter needs the book TOMORROW for school and no half-price bookstore within a reasonable distance has a copy of that book. 

So with the Kindle App literally in hand, I started my hunt on Amazon for free or really cheap books.  There are an amazing number of cheap books.  Here is an example, Currently $2.99 for FIVE books.  This series is amusing and fun and very easy light reading, perfect for times when you don't want to think hard (entertainment reading.) Plus I love a series, once I am introduced to a likable character I hate to say goodbye after only one book.
High Heel Mysteries by Gemma Halliday, photo courtesy of http://www.amazon.com/

Another great thing about e-books is that you can get a sample before buying a book which is awesome! You can read a few chapters and if you don't enjoy it, then don't buy the book. There are also a lot of free books which you can download and if you don't like it, just stop reading and move along to the next one. 

With the smartphone app I now have my book everywhere I go as long as the battery will last.  So I find I actually enjoy waiting for appointments now that I have reading material at my fingertips.  Kindle makes me a more patient person and it makes me smile because I get to spend more time reading.

For Christmas I got an actual Kindle device which has a much bigger screen than my phone (easy on the forty-something eyes) and I'm loving it! The phone app and the Kindle sync up and I can read on whichever one I have with me when I have time to read.

Many local libraries also have free books or check out some of these sites.

Free ebooks online

 InkMesh A search engine that searches more than thirty online sources for free ebooks.
Free eBooks offered by Project Gutenberg  You can download over 33,000 free ebooks to read on your PC, iPad, Kindle, Sony Reader, IPhone, Android or other portable devices.
FreeBookSpot Free but registration required.
Free eBooks.net Free but registration required.
The Online Books Page  An index of hundreds of thousands of books freely readable on the Internet from the University of Pennsylvania Libraries.
eBookFling Swap ebooks for free with other readers while still retaining ownership.

I'm currently reading Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/
It's a wonderful true love story that makes me laugh out loud and since it takes place in Oklahoma, and I'm an Okie girl, I love it even more.

What are you reading?  Have you found any good free or cheap Kindle Books?  If so, please let me know.

Happy reading,

Laura

No comments: