The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Monday, January 30, 2012

Before the www


Even though I have not even reached the ripe old age of 50 (yet) I remember when the world was a simple place with

no computers,

no internet,

no smartphones!

Our phone was an old black rotary model that hung on the wall - and it was a party line, my Mom imposed a 10 minute limit on phone calls! 

I'm pretty sure my kids could never survive without their smart phones.  I would really miss mine too, but I know I could live without it because I've been there and done that before. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for my smartphone, it helps me, most of the time. 

I'm envious of today's parents who have instant internet at their fingertips. It would have helped me tremendously when my kids were younger.  When my kids learned to talk they started asking questions - lots of questions.  I bought a dictionary, reference books, an atlas.  We learned a lot together from those questions.

Of course there are always questions that you just can't answer.  One of my favorites, came from my son when he was only four years old.  You see, my son was a kid who wanted exact, specific information from a very young age.  When he asked how babies get out of the Mommy's tummy, I gave him the same answer I gave his older sister, I told him, "God made a special place for the baby to come out."  His response was, "Where is it and can I see it?"   I'm looking forward to the day when he has kids of his own to ask him a thousand questions a day.  I hope they leave him speechless and fill his life with laughter.

Happy Monday,
Laura



No comments: